Monday, September 7, 2009

Finding The RIGHT Florist For YOU.

I decided to call this post "Finding the RIGHT Florist For YOU" simply because many brides go with a florist they feel pressured into using. My FSIL (future sister-in-law) was married this past January and her flowers were lovely and not expensive. She spend about $1400 altogether for her flowers. I don't recall there being flowers at the reception now but the ceremony had very nice flowers so perhaps they all went there. I became engaged in February and decided, "Why not use her florist?" After booking the reception hall and deciding on my colors (then dark blue and brown) I made an appointment with the florist. She was based out of her home so we met at a local starbucks (a common theme you'll notice when I post about the photographer)

She was a very nice woman and brought plenty of books with her. She walked me through all the flower choices and in the end we were 100% sure we were going with her. She told me to give her 1-2 weeks to get together our quote. After the third week we still hadn't heard a word about the quote so I decided to call her. She was nice but it was obvious that she had forgotten although she gave us a very sorry excuse about her daughter's emergency surgery. (This may have been true but I don't think it was.) She sent us the quote and it was about $900 so we were very excited. I had to change a few things on the contract and asked her to send us the corrected contract.

She never got back with me. I could no longer get her on the phone and she was not responding to any of my phone calls. I consider myself a very laid back bride so I have no clue why we are getting the cold shoulder! After visiting another florist recommended by FMIL to disastrious results I decided to try one more time. We had changed our colors to deep purple and light gold so obviously the flowers agreed upon at the last meeting wouldn't work so I left a message on her machine (a very nice message she didn't deserve) but to no avail. This woman has dropped off the face of the earth. (Figuratively speaking.)

I decided to research florists in the area and had a few hits and quite a lot of misses but when your planning a wedding for a city about five hours away this is usual.

My two finalists were Bella Blooms and Tracy's Flowers. Our first appointment was with Diem Vu of Bella Blooms and she is just adorable. She truly loves what she does and is so excited about flowers and everything involved. She is also very knowledgable of flowers and what will and will not look good. By the time we sat down and began talking I was convinced we were going with her. She practically finished my sentences in what I wanted. Our budget was $1000 for flowers which since then I've realized is unreasonable but we didn't tell her our budget. I wanted to know what my dream wedding flowers would cost. With my 12 person bridal party (bridesmaids and groomsmen), the two flower girls, the one ring bearer, both sets of parents, both sets of grandparents, my beautiful bouqet, and FH (future husband) boutinierre, as well as flower arrangements for all the tables (take home) and flowers for my cake it came out to $1500. $500 over our budget but Scott could tell this was what I really wanted so he said it wasn't a big deal! What a great guy!

I had all but signed a contract with Bella Blooms and absolutely did not want to go to the next florist but Scott insisted. Upon arrival we enter into a boutique of sorts that managed to shove a flower shop into the very back room. Our appointment was for 2:00 p.m. but we got there at 1:45. No big deal. I can wait 15 mins. We were greeted by a very rude shop boy and were told we'd have to wait as Tracy was with other clients. Again, not a big deal other than the fact that he was rude. 2:00 roles around and she's still not done with the client despite knowing we were there. 2:10 and she's still not done. If 2:15 comes and she's still not done we're walking out the door. 2:13 and she's finally done. She ushers us into a tiny cramped office (again, obviously an afterthought) and the phone rings. She tells us to look through the pictures provided and she'll be right back. The pictures provided are obviously from her son's mafioso wedding and have barely any pictures of flowers but tons of her 'growing up gotti' family. She spend about 10 minutes on the phone (not talking about flowers) before she comes back in without even apologizing. She asks for our budget and I tell her $1500. She scoffs as if it isn't even possible! She then barely listens to anything I say, suggests flowers I hate, and then rings up our quote. It comes to $1300. Finally, it's over!

I am having my flowers done by Bella Blooms. Even though she's more expensive I'm getting flowers I love and someone who will listen to me. That's worth a heck of a lot more in my opinion. I probably met with a total of 10 florists and only met one I connected with. It's worth it to go to many different florists. Eventually you'll find the one that you just know is going to do your wedding. Very much like finding your guy! (at least you don't have to pay for him.)

becca

No comments:

Post a Comment